- Can anyone attend a Leaping Lizards dance class?
- Yes! Leaping Lizards caters for 3 years and upwards, girls and boys, women and men.
- Is previous dance experience necessary?
- Only for some classes e.g. 'Adult Intermediate - Advanced Jazz'. Please contact Lorna to determine which class will suit you best. All classes are designed to be fun as well as cover fundamental dance technique. You will find the moves and steps get easier with practice.
- How much are the classes?
- The cost depends on the class duration. Please contact Lorna for a "price pack", stating which classes you are interested in.
All children's classes are paid in advance for the term.
Adult classes can be paid in advance for the term to receive the best class rate. Some classes also have the option to purchase a 10 trip concession card or pay casually.
You will receive an invoice to pay internet banking. All prices include GST.
- Are there any discounts available?
- Yes. There are:
- Is there a uniform?
- There is a uniform for each of the kids' classes:
Hip Hop - Leaping Lizards uniform T-shirt. Black leggings, trousers or shorts. Bare feet, non-marking sneakers or Jazz shoes.
Jazz and Contemporary - Leaping Lizards uniform T-shirt. Black leggings for girls. Trousers or shorts for boys. Jazz shoes for Jazz classes, bare feet for Contemporary.
Ballet - Leaping Lizards uniform Ballet dress. Ballet shoes. Ballet tights and Ballet socks are optional.
There is no uniform for adult classes but please wear cool, comfortable clothing.
Footwear recommendations depend on the class:
Adult Contemporary - bare feet.
Adult Jazz - Jazz shoes, bare feet or light sneakers.
Adult Tap - Tap shoes.
Circuit and Small Group Training - exercise sneakers.
Conditioning for dancers - bare feet or grip socks.
Pilates - bare feet.
Zumba ® - exercise sneakers.
- Where does my child get a Leaping Lizards T-Shirt from?
- Once your child has decided they would like to join Leaping Lizards School of Dance you can order a T-shirt through Lorna. These are different colours depending on the age group e.g. the 4-5 years group is yellow, the 6-7 years group is red. You are asked to purchase the T-shirt within the term your child joins the school.
- Can adult dancers have a Leaping Lizards T-shirt too?
- Yes! They do come in adult sizes and you may choose your colour. ☺
- Do I need jazz or tap shoes for my first class?
- No. Participants are welcome to try out the classes first before investing in dance shoes. For Jazz classes, wear light sneakers or bare feet. For Tap, comfortable dress shoes with a low, wide heel are best.
- Where do I get jazz and tap shoes from?
- You can order your dance shoes (children's or adults') through Leaping Lizards for a much lower price than you will pay at a dance store. Ask Lorna for more details.
- How many participants per class?
- Class sizes generally depend on the style of dance and the age of the dancers. Our classes are typically anywhere from 8-20 people per class.
- Is there an opportunity to perform?
- Leaping Lizards School of Dance puts on a yearly recital. This brings all the dance classes together in a fun, energetic show.
There is also a performance group associated with the school. The Leaping Lizards School of Dance Performance Group has members ranging from 7-13 years old, who regularly attend classes in more than 1 dance style. Involvement in this group is by invitation only and members must also regularly attend Leaping Lizards dance classes.
Check out the videos on the video page to see what we do.
- Is it okay to take dance classes but not perform in the end of year show?
- There is absolutely no pressure to be involved in the annual show (although it is a lot of fun!). Class members are welcome to continue with classes throughout show term even if they do not wish to be in the show.
- Can parents watch their child's class?
- Parents may watch their child's first class. After that parents are asked to either drop children off or wait in the designated area. Half-way through the term and at the end of the term you will receive an invitation to a parental viewing session where you can come and watch what we have been working on. ☺